Sited at the crossroads of two Roman roads where a small Gallo-Roman fort once stood, portions of the existing chateau have been standing for almost a thousand years. In 963 the land was given in fief to the de Cleret family who built a medieval keep (tower) and expanded it repeatedly over the course of almost 700 years.
In the 19th century the entire property was transformed when the de Beauchamp family relocated the barns and stables out of sight of the chateau and remade the landscape with a new entry courtyard, sweeping vista to the South, long double allee of plane trees and the planting of thousands of new trees.
For 40 years in the late 20th century the property was completely closed to the outside world when it became a Benedictine monastery.
The oldest part of the chateau, the 12th century medieval tower with its distinctive spiral staircase, was enlarged substantially during the Renaissance, and again in the mid-nineteenth century by the Count de Beauchamp who incorporated the styles of the earlier eras into a harmonious whole.
Among the chateau curiosities are a group of 7th century Merovingian sarcophagi, which were unearthed on the property during reconstruction of the village church. They hark back to the age when the Mervingian king, Charles Martel, the grandfather of Charlemagne, beat the Moorish army at the 732 Battle of Poitiers and halted the Muslim advance into central Europe.
The French king, Jon le Bon (Jean II), reputedly stayed in the chateau the night before he was captured by the English “Black Prince” in the 1356 Battle of Poitiers in nearby Noaille Maupertuis. His room, which was extravagantly redecorated by Count Robert de Beauchamp in the 19th century, is now a honeymoon suite.
Following purchase of the chateau 1867, Count Robert de Beauchamp and his family immediately embarked upon an ambitious construction and landscaping program that dramatically changed every aspect of the buildings and the property. At the same time, as major patrons, they exerted significant influence over the design and construction of the new village church, an imposing Neo-gothic structure built to replace the small Romanesque building by the chateau gate. Tragically, after so much effort the family was decimated first by the loss of Robert’s daughter-in-law, Valerie, in the famous Charity Bazaar fire in Paris of 1897 and then during WW I when her husband, Francois, and their three sons were all killed. All are buried in the de Beauchamp Mausoleum outside the chateau gate.
Create the destination wedding of your dreams at Chateau St Julien. This romantic Chateau in the French countryside features a storybook setting ideal for wedding parties of up to 50 guests, or wedding receptions of up to 200 guests when used in conjunction with our banquet hall.
Chateau St. Julien is the ideal setting for reunions, gala birthdays, costume balls, anniversaries and other celebrations, or simply as a base to explore this culturally rich but largely undiscovered region. Unwind and reconnect in this sanctuary of calm and beauty.